21 Strategies On How To Make Money Writing
Introduction: The Path To Make Money Writing Is A Winding One
When I was younger, I wasn’t thinking about how to make money writing but I had a lot of aversion to the school authority, especially when they didn’t appear to be fair.
One day, in one of my in-school suspensions, I decided to write my appeal to the teacher. In my mind it was injustice for me to spend the day in in-school suspension for talking in my shop class.
Upon reading my defense, the teacher said, “Bayo! Wow, you are a great writer!” While I had no idea what to do with the advice at that time, it did stick with me.
Although I was in trouble and not participating in a normal school day, I did feel good I had some value in the world.
Years later, I became a writer, and I’m sharing how to make money writing, go figure!
Now, your story may be different. Maybe you’ve always known you were born to be a writer, or you’ve discovered this world of words recently. Either way, this article can save you time in finding your unique ways to make money writing.
Writing is a job that many people dream of doing, but few actually get to do it. It takes time, dedication, and hard work to become a successful writer.
Yet, if you put in enough effort and follow the right steps, then you can make money writing. In this article, we will cover some ways how you can start making money by writing content online today.
I’ll cover freelance writers. I’ll explore freelance writing gigs. Job board hunting, and writing blog posts. Making a living writing poetry. There is something in writing for everyone.
Make money writing online. It is one of the easiest ways to start writing.
Are you looking for ways to monetize your writing skills and turn your passion for writing into a lucrative career? Here are 21 strategies to help you make money as a writer:
Write and publish a book or series.
While this can be a long and challenging process, the rewards can be significant if your book becomes a best-seller.
Writing books (which I covered in this article) can be rewarding and fulfilling creative work for many people. It allows authors to share their ideas, knowledge, and stories with a wide audience, and it can also be a lucrative business venture.
Selling ebooks has become increasingly popular in recent years, as more and more people prefer to read digitally. Here are some tips for writing and selling ebooks.
- Choose a topic that you are knowledgeable and passionate about. Your enthusiasm and expertise will come through in your writing and make it more engaging for readers.
- Create an outline to organize your ideas and structure your book. This will help you stay on track and ensure that your book flows logically.
- Write regularly to make progress on your book. Set aside dedicated time each day or week to work on your creative work.
- Edit and revise your book carefully to ensure that it is well-written and error-free. Consider hiring a professional editor if you need extra help.
- Consider self-publishing your ebook through platforms like Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing or Kobo Writing Life. These platforms make it easy to upload and sell your book digitally.
- Promote your ebook through social media, email newsletters, and other marketing channels. Consider offering limited-time promotions or discounts to help drive sales.
- Keep an open mind and be willing to adapt your marketing and writing strategies as needed. The publishing industry is constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay flexible and open to change.
Write articles for magazines, newspapers, and online publications.
Many publications pay writers for articles, essays, and other types of content. Writing articles for magazines, newspapers, and online publications can be a rewarding and fulfilling career for many people.
As a writer, you have the opportunity to share your ideas, knowledge, and stories with a wide audience and make an impact with your words.
To pursue a career in this field, it’s important to develop your journalism abilities by reading and studying the work of established writers, and practice writing regularly to hone your craft.
You should also create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills and style, and research the market to understand the types of articles that are in demand and the outlets that publish them.
Networking with other professionals in the industry and building a reputation as a reliable and skilled writer can also help you secure paid writing opportunities.
Be a freelance writer.
Freelance writers make money from freelance writing gigs. Offer freelance writing services to businesses, websites, and marketing agencies.
Many companies are looking for writers to create content for their websites, social media, and marketing materials. Freelance writers have a wide range of topics they cover. In fact, launch your own entire freelance writing business.
Try Freelancing: Freelance writing is an excellent way to earn extra money from home. There are many opportunities available, including writing product descriptions, editing documents and copywriting (writing sales copy). This can be done on a part-time or full-time basis. If you want to learn more about freelance writing and how it works, check out my article here!
Team up with another freelancer: Sometimes collaborating is the best way to learn new skills and become more successful.
There are many benefits to working with a team. When you work alone, you are usually responsible for everything from answering emails to creating content and managing social media accounts.
This can add up to a lot of time spent on things that aren’t directly related to your expertise or passion—but when you have co-workers, everyone can contribute their own skillsets and help each other out in areas where they’re strong.
When working together, it’s important that everyone has the same vision for the company so that the customers will receive consistent quality from all parties involved (including those outside of your organization).
The best way to make sure this happens is by having periodic meetings where everyone shares their thoughts on how things are going; this way if someone disagrees with something they’ll know before it becomes a problem.
Consider ghostwriting for other authors or public figures.
Ghostwriting involves writing a book or other work for someone else, who will be credited as the author.
Once you have some successful projects under your belt, you will get a ton of referrals.
This is a very popular way to get paid to write interesting material.
Sometimes celebrities need a strong writer to help their story reach success. Talented writers are paid every day for their ghostwriting.
Try scriptwriting for TV shows, movies, and theater productions.
This can be a challenging field to break into, but the rewards can be significant if your scripts are produced. If you have a fascination with human stories this is perfect for you.
To begin scriptwriting for TV shows, movies, and theater productions, there are a few steps you can take:
Develop your scriptwriting by reading and studying the work of established screenwriters and playwrights, and practice writing regularly to hone your craft.
Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills and style. This can include short films, stage plays, or TV pilot scripts that you have written and produced, as well as any relevant writing or projects you have done.
Research the scriptwriting market to understand the types of scripts that are in demand and the outlets that produce them. This can include reading industry publications, attending scriptwriting conferences and events, and joining online communities for screenwriters and playwrights.
Consider earning a degree in screenwriting or playwriting from a reputable program to gain more knowledge and connections in the industry.
Network with other professionals in the scriptwriting industry to learn about potential opportunities and make connections. This can include attending writing festivals and workshops, joining writing groups or organizations, and collaborating with screenwriters.
Create content for social media platforms.
Many businesses and individuals are willing to pay for content to post on their social media accounts. Choose a particular niche that you like and go after it. You can do a quick google search to see what people are interested in.
To create content for social media platforms, it’s important to understand the specific guidelines and best practices for each platform, as well as the interests and preferences of your target audience.
Identify the purpose and goals of your content, such as raising awareness, driving engagement, or generating leads. Research your audience to understand their demographics, interests, and pain points, and tailor your content to meet their needs and preferences.
Choose the right social media platforms for your business or brand, and create profiles that accurately represent your brand and provide value to your audience.
Develop a content calendar to plan and schedule your posts in advance, and mix up the types of content you share (e.g., text, images, videos, etc.) to keep things interesting and engaging.
Use visually appealing and high-quality images and graphics to enhance your content and make it more shareable.
Engage with your audience by responding to comments and messages in a timely and professional manner, and encourage them to share and interact with your content.
Write and sell ebooks.
Ebooks are a popular and convenient way to read, and there is a market for all types of genres and subjects.
The only difference between ebooks and regular books is that ebooks can be read anywhere.
Consider that people want the option and mobility to read their books anywhere.
Provide copywriting services for websites and other marketing materials.
Copywriting involves creating written content for the purpose of advertising or marketing.
This type of writing involves creating written content for the purpose of advertising or marketing. If you’re a writer looking to get paid for your work, consider exploring copywriting as a potential writing career.
One way to find copywriting jobs is to search job boards specifically for writing positions. Many companies and agencies are always looking for talented copywriters to create content for their websites, social media, and marketing materials.
You can also try reaching out to businesses and organizations directly to inquire about potential writing opportunities.
Another option is to start your own freelance copywriting business. By offering your copywriting services to businesses and individuals, you can get paid to write while setting your own schedule and working on your own terms.
To get started, consider building a website or social media presence to showcase your copywriting and attract potential clients.
Another way to find copywriting opportunities is to join writing communities or organizations.
Many of these groups have job boards or listings for writing jobs, including copywriting positions. You can also network with copywriters and industry professionals to learn about potential writing opportunities.
Overall, copywriting can be a lucrative and rewarding writing career. Whether you’re looking for full-time work or just want to supplement your income with freelance writing jobs, there are plenty of opportunities available for talented and motivated writers.
So, if you have a passion for writing and are looking to get paid for it, consider exploring copywriting as a potential writing career.
Write and sell printables or other digital products.
Printables are digital documents that can be printed out, such as planners, coloring pages, templates, and worksheets.
Many people focus on the low or no content niche on Amazon.com Other writers know that making money online isn’t about the number of words but the quality and value of them.
Some of them make money online selling journals and other planners.
Use your writing skills to offer editing and proofreading services to other writers.
Many writers need help with editing and proofreading their work before it is published.
In this category is where all your expertise from high school and college pay off. Depending on your writing style, you can be more objective than your own content.
To earn money as an editor or proofreader, you can start by offering your services to friends, family, and acquaintances who may need help with their writing.
Create a website or social media presence to advertise your services to a wider audience. It may be helpful to specialize in a specific type of editing or proofreading, such as academic, business, or creative writing.
Join professional organizations and networks, attend industry events, and seek out continuing education opportunities to build your skills and credibility.
As you gain experience and build a portfolio of work, you may be able to charge higher rates and attract more clients.
It can be helpful to set clear guidelines and expectations with clients upfront, including your fees, turnaround time, and any revisions or feedback you provide.
Teach writing workshops or courses.
If you have expertise in a particular area of writing, consider teaching others through workshops or online courses. This is a little different than a full-time writer.
But, writing careers are flexible.Smart writers are often equally good at teaching the concepts they kknow. You can use your own website as a virtual classroom.
Making money teaching writing courses online can be a rewarding and flexible way to earn a living. As an online writing instructor, you may be able to design your own curriculum and course materials, and have the freedom to set your own schedule and work from anywhere with an internet connection.
To get started, you may need to create a website or online platform to advertise your courses and attract students. You can also consider partnering with an established online education company to offer your courses through their platform.
In order to be successful, you may need to be able to effectively communicate your knowledge and expertise to students through video lectures, written materials, and interactive activities. It may also be helpful to be able to provide personalized feedback and support to students as they progress through the course.
As with any teaching role, patience and the ability to adapt to different learning styles and needs can be important qualities to have.
Write on your own blog and publish a blog.
If you have a specific topic or niche that you are knowledgeable about, consider starting a blog and monetizing it through advertising, sponsored content, or selling digital products.
Write for International blogs.
A lot of international blogs pay for content, which allow writers to make extra money writing.
You can also drive traffic to your blog with guest blogging.
You can write guest posts, or accept guest posts from other writers in exchange. Successful writers all understand the importance of collaboration.
Each blog post also acts as a business card for you sharing your work online. If you prepare your blog properly, each blog post will also help you rank higher on Google searches.
Write and sell print books via self-publishing.
While the market for print books has declined in recent years, there is still a demand for high-quality print books in certain genres.
You can also combine these products with other physical products and merchandise.
Traditional publishers, also known as “legacy” publishers, are established publishing houses that offer authors a full range of publishing services, including editing, design, marketing, and distribution.
One benefit of traditional publishing is that the publisher assumes most of the financial risk and handles the production costs. They may also have established relationships with booksellers and other industry partners, which can help to increase the visibility and sales of an author’s book.
However, traditional publishing can be competitive and authors may need to secure an agent in order to get their work considered by a publisher. Additionally, traditional publishers often have strict control over the content and marketing of a book, and authors may have limited input in these areas.
Hybrid publishers, also known as “partnership” publishers, are a newer model that combines elements of traditional and self-publishing. Hybrid publishers typically offer a range of publishing services, but also allow authors to retain more control and ownership over their work.
They may also offer authors the opportunity to earn a higher percentage of the profits from book sales. However, hybrid publishers may also require authors to pay for some or all of the production costs, which can be a significant financial investment.
Self-publishing refers to the process of publishing a book independently, without the involvement of a traditional or hybrid publisher. It also gives authors complete control over their work and the publishing process, but it also requires them to assume all of the financial risk and handle all of the production and marketing tasks themselves.
This can be a daunting and time-consuming process, but it also allows authors to retain a higher percentage of the profits from book sales.
DIY publishing has become more accessible and popular in recent years, thanks to the proliferation of online platforms and services that offer support and resources for self-publishing authors.
However, self-published books may face more challenges in terms of discoverability and credibility in the literary market. That’s a trade off you have to be willing to make.
Write and sell audiobooks.
If you’re a writer looking to get paid for your work, one lucrative option to consider is selling audiobooks. Audiobooks have become increasingly popular in recent years, and there is a market for both fiction and non-fiction titles.
One way to find audiobook writing opportunities is to check job boards specifically for audio producers and narrators. These job boards often have listings for writers to create scripts for audiobooks, as well as opportunities to narrate audiobooks themselves.
You can also promote your audiobook writing services through your freelance writing business. If you have a website or social media presence, be sure to include information about your audiobook writing services and any relevant experience you have.
You may also want to consider reaching out to audio production companies or self-publishing platforms to see if they have any need for audiobook scripts.
Another way to make money from your writing through audiobooks is by turning your personal essays or other writing into audiobooks.
If you have a collection of essays or a memoir that you’ve written, you could consider recording an audiobook version and selling it through platforms like Audible or iTunes.
Another option is to write and sell audiobooks through online writing marketplaces. Sites like Fiverr and Upwork allow writers to sell their services to a global audience, and you can use these platforms to offer your audiobook writing and narration services.
To make the most of this opportunity, it’s important to find your writing niche and focus on it. If you’re interested in writing fiction, consider specializing in a particular genre or age group. For non-fiction, consider focusing on a specific topic or subject area that you’re knowledgeable about.
In addition to writing and selling audiobooks, you can also make money as a writer by creating content for your own writing blog or website. By blogging about your writing journey and offering tips and advice to other writers, you can attract a dedicated audience and monetize your site through advertising, sponsored content, and selling digital products.
Write and sell screenplays.
If you have an interest in film and television, consider writing screenplays and selling them to production companies.
Screenplays are written as a blueprint for a film or television show, and they typically include a combination of dialogue, descriptions of characters and settings, and action. Screenplays can be written for a variety of genres, including drama, comedy, action, and romance.
The process of writing a screenplay can vary depending on the individual writer’s style and process, but it generally involves developing a concept or idea, outlining the plot and structure of the story, and writing and revising the script. Some writers prefer to work in a collaborative environment, such as a writers’ room, while others prefer to work independently.
Once a screenplay has been written, it can be shopped around to various industry professionals in the hopes of getting it optioned or purchased. This process is often facilitated by agents or managers who represent the writer and help to pitch the screenplay to studios, production companies, and other potential buyers.
If it is optioned, it means that a buyer has agreed to pay the writer a fee in exchange for the exclusive right to consider producing the script for a certain period of time.
When produced and made into a film or television show, the writer will typically receive additional compensation, such as a percentage of the film’s box office gross or a fee for each episode of a television show.
If you get into the business of film, it is important to understand Coverage. Coverage is a service provided by studios, production companies, and other industry professionals to help them evaluate the potential of a screenplay.
Coverage typically involves a written report that summarizes the plot and characters of a screenplay, as well as an analysis of its strengths and weaknesses. The report may also include recommendations on whether or not to consider the screenplay for development or production.
Coverage is often used as a tool to help narrow down the large volume of material that is submitted for consideration, and it can be influential in the decision-making process for which screenplays are ultimately produced.
Write and sell plays.
If you enjoy writing for the stage, consider writing and selling plays to theater companies.
Having friends who are actors, you can see that they always value good scripts.
Without the script, there is no play. Study famous playwrights and see how you might present scripts for theatre the same or differently.
There are several ways that writers can get placements for their scripts in theater, including Broadway and off-Broadway productions. One way is to submit their work to theater companies or producers who are actively seeking new material.
This can involve sending a query letter or synopsis of the script, along with a sample of the full script or a staged reading. It can be helpful for writers to research and target specific companies or producers who are a good fit for their script, and to familiarize themselves with their submission guidelines.
Another way for writers to get placements is through writing contests or fellowships. Many theater companies and organizations offer opportunities for writers to submit their work for consideration, and winning or placing in these contests can be a way to get their scripts noticed by industry professionals.
Networking and building relationships with theater professionals can also be helpful in getting placements.
This can involve attending industry events, joining theater organizations or networks, and participating in workshops or classes.
Having a strong support system and community of peers can provide valuable resources and opportunities for writers to get their work seen and produced.
Write and sell short stories.
Many magazines and anthologies accept short story submissions and pay for the rights to publish them.
Creative writing is always fun if you know your target audience.
There are several ways that writers can make money by publishing and selling their short stories online. Some options include:
- Self-publishing through platforms such as Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) or Smashwords. These platforms allow writers to upload and sell their own ebooks, including collections of short stories.
- Submitting stories to online literary magazines and journals. Many of these publications pay writers for their work and may offer additional exposure and networking opportunities.
- Participating in writing contests or anthologies that offer cash prizes or publication opportunities.
- Licensing short stories for use in other media, such as film, television, or audio.
- Offering short story writing services to clients through freelance platforms such as Upwork or Fiverr.
- Building a following and monetizing your work through platforms that allow writers to share and sell their work directly to readers, such as Patreon or Substack.
It’s important to note that making a living from writing short stories can be challenging, as the market for short fiction can be competitive and the payout for individual stories can be relatively low.
However, by building a diverse portfolio of publishing and income streams, it is possible for writers to generate income from their short stories over time.
Write and sell poems.
Poetry can be a challenging field to break into, but there are markets for all types of poetry, including literary journals, magazines, and online publications.
Writing and selling poems can be a fulfilling and lucrative creative pursuit for many people. If you’re interested in turning your passion for poetry into a business, here are some steps you can take:
- Develop your ability to write poetry by reading and studying the work of established poets, and practice writing regularly to hone your craft.
- Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills and style. This can include a selection of your best poems, as well as any relevant writing or projects you have done.Research the poetry market to understand the types of poetry that are in demand and the outlets that publish poetry. This can include reading poetry magazines and journals, and attending poetry readings and events to get a sense of the current literary landscape.
- Submit your work to literary magazines and journals for publication. Many of these outlets pay for published poems, and getting your work out there can help you build a reputation as a poet.
- Consider releasing your poetry through platforms like Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing or Lulu. These platforms make it easy to upload and sell your work digitally.
- Promote your poetry through social media, email newsletters, and other marketing channels. Consider offering limited-time promotions or discounts to help drive sales.
Write and sell articles to syndication services.
Syndication services sell articles to multiple publications, giving writers the opportunity to reach a wider audience.
Article syndication services provide content to a network of websites, blogs, and other outlets. If you’re interested in selling your writing to these services, here are some steps you can take:
- Develop your skills in writing for the web, including SEO and headline writing.
- Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills and style. This can include articles you have written for your own blog or other outlets, as well as any relevant writing or articles you have done.
- Research article syndication services to understand their submission guidelines and the types of content they are seeking. This can include reading the articles they have published and getting a sense of their editorial style.
- Pitch your ideas to article syndication services that align with your interests and expertise. Be sure to follow their guidelines and include a resume or writing samples with your pitch.
- Consider working with a content marketing agency that partners with article syndication services to create custom content for clients. These companies often have established relationships with clients and can help you secure paid work.
- Write and sell content to content mills.
Content mills are companies that produce large quantities of content for websites and other online platforms. Content creation in business is a big demand. You can get paid to write all kinds of content.
Content mills are websites that allow writers to sell their written content to clients in need of written material. To make money selling writing to content mills, start by creating a profile on a few popular platforms, such as Upwork or Textbroker.
Then, complete any required writing samples to demonstrate your skills and style. Once your profile is active, browse through the available writing jobs and apply to those that align with your interests and expertise.
As you gain more experience and build up a portfolio of work, you can start bidding on higher-paying jobs and negotiate higher rates with clients.
It’s also a good idea to continuously improve your writing skills and stay up to date on industry trends to make yourself more marketable to clients.
- Write and sell content to online marketplaces.
Online marketplaces such as Fiverr and Upwork allow writers to sell their services to a global audience. Many talent writers write the content first then sell it in bulk.
By considering these 21 strategies, you can find the right fit for your writing skills and start monetizing your passion for writing.
There are several strategies that writers can use to earn money on freelance platforms such as Fiverr and Upwork. Here are a few ideas:
- Specialize in a specific niche or type of writing. By focusing on a particular area of expertise, you can differentiate yourself from other writers and appeal to clients who are looking for someone with your skills and knowledge.
- Create a professional and detailed profile. Be sure to include information about your education, experience, and writing style, and provide examples of your work.
- Offer value-added services. In addition to writing, consider offering related services such as editing, proofreading, or formatting to increase your value to clients and make your services more attractive.
- Set competitive and fair pricing. Research the going rates for similar services on the platform, and consider offering discounts or packages for bulk orders.
- Build a positive reputation. Focus on delivering high-quality work and excellent customer service to help build a positive reputation and attract repeat business.
- Be proactive in finding and applying for jobs. Don’t just wait for clients to come to you – actively search for and apply for jobs that match your skills and experience.
- Network and market yourself. Consider joining relevant professional organizations, participating in online writing communities, and using social media to connect with potential clients and promote your services.
As A Bonus Here are two more strategies, making it 23 for 2023!
Here are two additional strategies for making money as a writer in 2023:
- Write and sell content for virtual reality and augmented reality experiences.
As virtual and augmented reality technology becomes more widespread, there will be a growing demand for content to populate these immersive experiences.
Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are growing markets that offer many opportunities for content creators. If you’re interested in selling content for VR and AR experiences, here are some steps you can take:
Develop your skills in creating immersive content. This can include learning about 3D modeling, animation, and game design, as well as familiarizing yourself with VR and AR development software.
Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills and experience. This can include demos of VR or AR experiences you have created, as well as any relevant writing, design, or other viritual reality projects you have done.
Research the VR and AR market to understand the types of content that are in demand. This can include identifying specific industries or sectors that are adopting VR and AR, as well as keeping track of new technologies and trends that are emerging in the field.
- Network with other VR and AR professionals to learn about potential opportunities and make connections in the industry. This can include joining online communities, attending conferences and events, and collaborating with other creators.
- Consider working with a VR or AR development studio or agency to create custom content for clients. These companies often have established relationships with clients and can help you secure paid work.
- Self-publish your own VR or AR content and sell it through online platforms such as Steam or the App Store. This can be a good option for creators who want to retain control over their work and have the marketing and distribution skills to promote it effectively.
- Write and sell content for chatbots and voice assistants.
Many businesses are using chatbots and voice assistants to communicate with customers and provide information. These technologies need written content to function, and there will be a demand for writers to create this content.
There is a growing demand for written content to be used in chatbots and voice assistants, such as Amazon’s Alexa or Google Assistant. If you’re interested in selling writing for these platforms, here are some steps you can take:
- Develop your skills in writing for chatbots and voice assistants. This can include learning about natural language processing, conversational design, and user experience design.
- Create a portfolio of your work to showcase your skills and experience. This can include demos of chatbots or voice assistants you have created, as well as any relevant writing or design work you have done.
- Research the chatbot and voice assistant market to understand the types of content that are in demand. This can include identifying specific industries or sectors that are adopting these technologies, as well as keeping track of new trends and developments in the field.
- Network with other professionals in the chatbot and voice assistant industry to learn about potential opportunities and make connections. This can include joining online communities, attending conferences and events, and collaborating with other creators.
- Consider working with a chatbot or voice assistant development company to create custom content for clients. These companies often have established relationships with clients and can help you secure paid work.